Though we may not always like to think about it, emergencies can and do happen. And when they involve our beloved pets, the stakes are high. That's why it's important to know what to do in an emergency pet care situation. By being prepared and knowing where to turn for help, you can minimize the stress and anxiety of an emergency.
At Sagamore Hills Animal Hospital in Sagamore Hills, OH, we provide pet emergency care to preserve your precious animal's life when the unexpected happens. We understand that emergencies can happen at any time and when they're least expected. That's why we're fully available for any emergencies.
What Are the Most Common Pet Emergencies?
Many types of emergencies can occur with pets. Some of the most common ones are:
- Severe Bleeding: Bleeding can be significant and often requires immediate veterinary attention.
- Difficulty Breathing: This is a serious problem requiring immediate care, as your pet may not get enough oxygen to its brain or other vital organs. Respiratory distress also means that your pet's body has been compromised in some way.
- Injury: Any injury, whether it's a bite, cut, or another wound, can be a serious emergency. It's important to get your pet to the veterinarian as soon as possible for proper treatment.
- Poisoning: Pets can easily ingest toxins and poisons, which can be life-threatening. If you know or suspect your pet has been poisoned, it's important to let us know immediately.
- Severe Vomiting and Diarrhea: Your pet could have eaten something toxic, have a blockage in its intestinal tract, have an underlying illness, or more. Either way, this is an emergency that requires attention as soon as possible.
- Heat Stroke: Also known as sunstroke or hyperthermia, heatstroke is caused by excessive exposure to the summer heat and can be fatal if not treated promptly.
- Seizures and Unconsciousness: A seizure may indicate a problem with the brain. If your pet loses consciousness, you may need the help of an emergency vet to help you determine what's wrong.
What to Do in a Pet Emergency
If you experience an emergency with your pet, here are some steps you can take:
- Remain calm. This is often the most difficult thing to do, but it's essential if you want to help your pet.
- Contact a vet clinic immediately. We're available during our regular hours of operation for emergencies, and we'll do everything we can to help your pet.
- Try to keep your pet calm and still. This may be difficult, but movement will only make the situation worse.
- If possible, have someone take pictures of the injury or poisoning. This can help us immensely in diagnosis and treatment.
- Transport your pet to our hospital as quickly as possible. Time is of the essence in emergency care situations.
Visit Sagamore Hills Animal Hospital in Sagamore Hills, OH, for Emergency Pet Care
We understand that emergencies can be frightening and overwhelming, but you can minimize the stress for both you and your pet with proper preparation and knowledge. At Sagamore Hills Animal Hospital, we're here to help you in your time of need. Contact us today for more information or to schedule an appointment. Call our veterinarian at (330) 468-2900.